Winter Road Trip Tips.


Winter Road Trip Tips.

By Keylowha 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/how-to-drive-safely-in-snow-and-ice/

             I remember when I was little my family went on this road trip in the winter which wasn't uncommon for us. We were so young it is actually a little hard to remember the details but this year something different happened and I remember that. The car broke down and we were stuck in the middle of nowhere in the winter on the side of some dark highway in the middle of the night. I know scary right but don't worry my parents had a plan. I remember being stocked into warm blankets and a truck driver stopping to help us. Yes, folks traveling in the winter doesn't have to put you on the evening news. There are things you can do to stay safe and stay warm. 

alka-pure.com

  1. Water- this is actually a no-brainer. On any road trip, it is important to carry water, even if you are only going three hours away from home water is life so you should carry it. The longer the road trip the more water you should carry. I generally take a case with me on any road trip I take and have had to stop and get more on longer trips. Also, don't keep it in the trunk because it will freeze and if the car does break down it's not a good idea to go jumping out of it to get water in the cold.
  2. Warm blankets- I have had to use them on many occasions. You don't want to be the person they found frozen in their car because there won't always be a friendly trucker to pick you and be careful if it comes to that not every trucker is your friend. 
    www.veritemp.com
     (not recommending this brand just showing what I mean by heat pack)
  3. Heat packs- I don't always bring these on winter road trips because they are not so easy to find but plan ahead and try to bring this. If you end up having to wait over an hour for a tow truck staying warm gets harder, it's even harder to stay warm when yours alone so if alone bring heat packs. 
  4. A cell phone charger or two. I never even get on an airplane without a portable cell phone charger. Trust me, people If you ever get trapped in a car covered in snow you are going to want people to be able to locate you. GPS location doesn't work on dead cell phones, also if your traveling without a cell phone your crazy, and depending on where you are going if your traveling without a satellite phone you're even crazier. They are a lifeline, a help-seeking missile, no really a satellite phone can call for help at a push of button and helicopter will be out to find you no matter where you are in the world. Thanks to some app your cell phone can do this to now but at a price. 
  5. Food- because there isn't always food in the middle of the desert if you catch my drift. I think that's harder for us in America to understand because there are food places everywhere but I have seen the dark side people. Endless roads of nothing and not always in the desert. I'm talking streets so long and barren that you almost run out of gas and still don't see a gas station coming. Always bring food and snacks that can last without being refrigerated. The fun thing about winter road trips is you trunk is like a refrigerator in cold. You can bring milk, cheese, deli meats and all kind of refrigerated food without having to worry they will spoil (I don't recommend it but you could do it.)
    http://www.gad.net
  6. Gas- those endless roads are sometimes endless for real. Know where you're going and if you need to carry gas because sometimes there are roads where you will need to fill your car with what you have on you before you find a gas station. I don't recommend carry gas around it's dangerous and the fumes ugh it's a mess but like I said, know where you're going and if you think for one second you will need it bring a gas can or two. 
    http://www.mideercamp.com/coldweatherclothing.html
  7. Winter gear- skiing gear to be more accurate. If your have to walk to the nearest gas station your hands well surely thank you for this. Don't bring skis but bring ski gloves and thick stocks a crazy warm jacket. Think like if I were skiing or if I were dog sledding if I were an Eskimo in the South Pole what would I wear to out in the cold for a nice two to three-hour walk. 
If you are planing on going to the maintains on a winter road trip your going to need more gear like ropes, chains, shovels, matchsticks, and lots of research about what to do in winter emergencies. Sometimes maintain roads are closed due to snow/rockslides, ice, and accidents. Have extra cash for changes of plans if you need to get a hotel because you can't get to the one you booked, or you need some more gear to get where you're trying to go. Do your research and make sure you are ready for anything that could happen. Happy winter travels :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St. Josaphat Basilica’s Spectacular History. Milwaukee's Most Wonderful Mystery.

Contre Jour Game Review

The Start of my AmeriCadian Journey.